Friday, July 1, 2011

Is An Online Degree in Your Future?


As a homeschooling parent you've played the role of teacher and honestly as a homeschooling parent, you've played the role of student too! How much do you learn right alongside your kiddos? Reviewing and studying history is especially exciting... or was always one of my favorite areas of study anyway. There's so much to learn, remember, and appreciate about where we came from, how we came to be who we are today, and where we may be going as a major world player in a global society.

Unfortunately, that learning you're doing alongside your children won't help you land a job once this season of homeschooling is behind you. If you're have a dream of pursing a degree or furthering your education, doing so from home might be your best answer. You can start  online degree programs at any time. Perhaps when your children are in high school you can use their study time to have your class and study time? You set your own schedule, working alongside your children to earn a degree at home, while they prepare to leave the nest to pursue their own degree outside the home!

Can you imagine what type of impression you'll have on your children? How cool watching mom or dad taking their education to the max! You'll be setting the groundwork in their growing minds for what it means to be a serious student. When they leave home to attend a university or junior college, they'll have seen firsthand the amount of dedication it takes to get that ever important box checked, because they'll have seen you do it!

I've been thinking about degree programs lately. 14 years ago I earned a BA in Psychology, but never went anywhere with it. Now I'm thinking I'd like to go back and obtain a degree in nutrition or nursing. Earning an
online degree programs in nutrition would give me a solid future, once our children are grown. Sometimes I think I'd like to earn a degree that would give me the credentials to work with the nutritional requirements of special needs people. I've had this on my mind since having placed my high-functioning autistic son on the Autism Diet, which requires we remove all gluten and casein from his diet. The fact that foods can affect behavior fascinates me! I honestly believe the foods we chose to eat affects everyone's behavior and mood, not just those with developmental disabilities.

If you're interested in applying for enrollment with an online school, but money is an issue... be sure to learn more about financial aid and assistance programs. Visit the US Government's website for their free application for federal student aid http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ .


  If you're not reading this post on The Homeschooling Blog... the content has been hijacked. Please let me know by following this link and leaving me a comment. Thanks in advance! 

No comments: