Friday, January 6, 2012

Using Netflix in Your Homeschool


Originally, my husband and I decided to subscribe to Netflix so that we would have movies to watch for ourselves. But I quickly discovered that this video streaming service is a goldmine of educational programming. So much so, that my elementary aged kids are currently using Netflix exclusively for their Science class.

I found Beakman’s World and originally I was going to use the half hour show to supplement Science class. But since revamping our homeschool in November and taking a more simplified approach to my children’s learning, I figured the show itself might be enough. And so far, so good.
The children enjoy the program so much that they are just gushing to tell me what they learned after watching it. I listen and let them share as many details as they want. Then I ask what fact they'd like to draw a picture of and put a short description of in their notebooks. Then I let them have at it. So far, they have been notebooking about such scientific topics as volcanoes, gravity waves, and the storm spot on Jupiter.
Here are some tips on how to use Netflix in your Homeschool.


1. Subscribe to the streaming service, if you haven’t already. It’s under $9 a month. That’s much lower than the library late fees I used to incur from overdue DVDs.
2. When you are on the Netflix website do a search for “PBS”, “Discovery Channel”, “National Geographic”, and “History Channel” to find a lot of educational goodies.
3. Put the programs that you are interested in into your queue so that you don’t have to search for them again later on.
4. Decide which programs will become a part of which subjects in your homeschool.
5. Have your children watch them and enjoy!


Serfronya Wallace
 
The six loves of Serfronya Wallace's life are God, her husband, and her 4 children - whom she homeschools. Serfronya enjoys sharing educational tips and writing about her family's homeschooling journey at Cookie's Domain.

    Thank you for following The Homeschooling Blog!

    1 comment:

    Willis Family said...

    I love Netflix for educational shows too! Although my children are older and we can't use it like you have, we certainly have used it as a supplement!