Sunday, January 15, 2012

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool When Family is Sick


My eldest hasn’t been feeling well since Monday. And over the course of the week that sickness has been contracted by 2 of my other children; and 2 days ago, I started feeling bad as well. So once again, the question had to be answered as to whether or not we should attempt any schooling.

A Hard Taskmaster
In past years this was a tough decision for me to make. Everyone had a certain amount of school work to be completed each day or else that child would “fall behind”. I was very determined to make sure that every page of every school book was covered before the end of the year. I was still stuck in “traditional school” mode.

Homeschool Isn’t About Completing a Curriculum
But I am happy to report that I have relaxed A LOT about homeschool lately. My younger children now have goals that we strive to meet by the end of year such as: learning phonics or improving their reading skills, learning their addition and subtraction tables, improving their handwriting, etc. I don’t use a set curriculum with them anymore. We just use whatever materials work to help us achieve our goals. We keep our lessons short, focused, and as engaging as possible.

Taking Sick Days is OK
So now  if we need to take some days off - or even a week - to recover from illness, then it’s not a big deal. My oldest does use textbooks. But if he’s sick then I let him rest and we rework his assignment due dates once he’s well. Some work may be combined or possibly skipped if he already has a solid understanding of it.

Netflix to the Rescue
If any of the children still want to have school then we may watch an educational video or 2 on Netflix and then discuss what we learned afterwards. But that’s about it. I want the children to have all the time they need for their bodies to recover without them having to worry about making up work or falling behind.

Serfronya Wallace
 
The six loves of Serfronya Wallace's life are God, her husband, and her 4 children - whom she homeschools. Serfronya enjoys sharing educational tips and writing about her family's homeschooling journey at Cookie's Domain.

    Thank you for following The Homeschooling Blog!

    No comments: