Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Radically Different Approach to Studying the Dinosaurs


I found this interesting given that we spent the morning studying the Iguanodon, a prehistoric dinosaur said to have existed 125 to 100 million years ago. I found myself adding the statement, "this is what some people believe" to nearly every page we read. That's always fun, isn't it?

I want my kids to hear the theories of others (so no... they're not sheltered), but to also consider what our faith teaches. Basically, study science as it's presented, but keep your faith and don't lose common sense. Don't allow science to become your religion or follow the teachings of man above the teachings of the Bible. I'm teaching my kids to compare everything they're taught to what the Bible says, then make up their own mind. How terribly closed minded of me! lol No, not really... they're getting a more broad view than the kids in a traditional learning environment because they're hearing both sides of the argument and learning to digest the truth without the threat of ridicule or criticism.



It's sad, but so predictable that Christians who refuse to embrace macro-evolution are considered freaks of nature. Not that macro-evolution is even what we're talking about, but it's the same folks who've embraced the notion that we evolved from apes that generally have issues with those of us who don't. Just so there's no mistake... I'm not threatened by what's being taught in classrooms around the world, but then why should I be? We're homeschooling!

By the way, we love studying dinosaurs and we don't claim for a minute to understand when exactly they walked the earth or how they might have died. We don't have to have every piece of the puzzle to enjoy studying what is generally agreed on and what men have speculated about concerning these great creatures of the past.

I should also add, I don't necessarily embrace every thought expressed in this video any more than I'd embrace every thought expressed by those practicing science as a religion. Yes, science can be a blind faith if there ever was one.

No comments: