Monday, December 17, 2012

Great Success with Critical Thinking Strategies


Guest post

I'm an elementary teacher in the Midwest. Its a smaller town, mostly rural, so our schools aren't well funded. My training didn't prepare me for all of the real challenges I would face in the classroom. I was especially frustrated with the teacher's manuals and guides I was given to use and teach from. Technically, they all cover the material, but they don't explain what to do when a student hits a serious roadblock in comprehension. After I found out other teachers were lacking the same tools in several subjects, I started to look for a solution. The best solution I found was at Mentoring Minds. I researched the books and tools, like the critical thinking wheel, which I wanted to see in classrooms and brought the school board. They were hesitant at first, but they were willing to try it in a few special classes which were lagging behind the others. What happened next was amazing. The teachers who used the materials found not only ways to answer the student's difficult questions, but great new ways to teach critical thinking strategies. This was perhaps the most amazing part. Critical thinking is the most important skill taught to children today, as it empowers them to find answers on their own in the future, a lifelong skill. Much of the facts and details we try to teach students aren't very valuable if the student is unable to think in a critical way. I highly recommend any of the products offered, especially the Critical Thinking Strategies Guide.


This is a guest post

No comments: