Sunday, October 16, 2011

Online Elementary Math Intervention Program


Many children see "math" as a four letter word. It's not quite as simple to master for some of us as lets say... reading and writing. That was definitely the case for me. I struggled with mathematics all the way through my senior year of college where I'd pushed calculus to my final semester and almost didn't graduate... that is after my calculus final had been graded! lol Thank the Lord for the a teacher who graded on the curve, which sparred me repeating the class over the Summer and postponing my diploma.

I definitely don't miss the stress of studying math, but then again... that stress hasn't entirely departed from my life. I'm living with elements of those feelings of dread all over again through my son who finds the subject less than thrilling.
    Does any of this sound familiar? Maybe you're looking for a math curriculum or a little math intervention for your own child? If you have a son or daughter who could use an individualized learning plan DreamBox offers just that. I've never used this program personally, but I like what I've read.

    If you're a homeschooler.... DreamBox has a link for homeschoolers looking for an individualized computer-based math program. The program includes a parent dashboard, giving you the tools to track your student's progress. You'll also be able to view the skills your child is learning at any given time and you'll receive parental notifications via email as they pass academic hurdles. This program is intended for grade levels K-3 and is intended to make learning math a fun and rewarding experience. You'll even find printable achievement certificates!
      There are no paper and pencils, no worksheets or books. This program is all computer-based which may appeal to families facing the never ending battle of worksheet and notebook clutter. It may also appeal to homeschoolers of children on the autism spectrum, since many (like my own son) don't like writing with a pencil. My son doesn't even like the feel of paper at his fingertips. He seems to learn just as well if he can ditch the pencil and paper, but is more relaxed... so why not?
        I found on the DreamBox website a 14-day free trail to their elementary math intervention program. I'm going to request the trial while me kids are on Christmas break... when we'll have more time to sample the program.

        This program is also recommended for use in schools. If you're a teacher or school administrator responsible for seeking out new learning programs, maybe you should try the free 14 day trial?

        If you've used DreamBox, please share your experiences. I'd love to learn more!
         



        Thank you for following The Homeschooling Blog!

        1 comment:

        skincare said...

        I admit that it's really hard to train kids to like the math subject. I mean they feel like they are not interested and lazy to learn about it.