Friday, May 23, 2008

2 Weeks Before Summer Break


& oh, am I ready! I don't know why I feel that way though. We're not really taking the Summer off completely. I'm not willing to let my kids lose what they've learned this past semester, especially in their understanding of math related studies... like reading time, counting money, fractions, and basic number calculations.

I think my relief comes from the fact that for a 2 1/2 months, I'll not really need to keep any records, won't have a curriculum to follow and we'll just do whatever we want/need to do whenever the time allows. I'll likely do nothing academic 4 days a week, then have 3 days where we do our nature journaling and backyard science type of thing, followed by 20 minutes of math. That's not too much to ruin a Summer, yet just enough to keep mom happy and the kids in good shape for school in the fall. I should add that my kids will have reading everyday. I don't think kids should ever take a break from reading books. My 5 year old isn't reading yet... independently, so I'll be reading to both kids, then letting my 7 year old chose a book each day to read to himself.

What are your plans for the Summer? Most homeschoolers I know take it off. It will be interesting to see if I really do what I say I'm going to! lol Even from my perspective. What does that say about me?

Oh, I'm just too tired to care. We've had gray skies and light rain showers for the last couple of days. Makes me sleepy! Wish I could take a nap, but oh, we have a math lesson ahead of us, followed my an online assessment my son needs to take before the day is over. Wish us luck with that!

No comments: