Monday, April 28, 2008

A Year Long Road Trip, With Kids? They Call it Roadschool


You won't believe this, but a family of 4 has begun a year long road trip across America as part of a homeschooling history tour. Can you even imagine? I would guess that very few people could afford do such a thing, but even if given the chance, I wonder how many of us would actually be on board for something so over the top? I can't really say that I'd be up for it, but I totally think it's cool.

Dad has retired from his job to fulfill his dream to tour the country with his family... I think they call that sacrifice. The entire trip is being documented from their website, Driven to Educate. The website includes a forum, so if you're ever dying to ask how goes it? you can! Maybe we can be their cheerleaders on days when they're wondering what they were thinking? Now, don't assume that I'm a pessimist here, I'm actually quite the opposite, but hey... I'm mom to 2 and we've traveled together just enough that I know first hand that it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

How long could I personally endure a road trip with kids? Maybe a month... maybe even two, but never a year. I can however totally appreciate the value in following this family as they tour by RV our great nation, teaching their young kids about how our nation was formed, the trials and tribulations of our forefathers. The battles, the sacrifices of the men and women who lived before us. There are so many great lessons to be learned and they won't likely be forgotten so easily as for those of us turning pages of a book.... and yet, I think if given the chance to do the same thing I'd have to wait until my kids were teenagers or just ditch the idea all together.

We've taken 2 family vacations in the last 2 years that lasted 14-15 days. In fact at this very moment 2 years ago we were in sunny Florida enjoying all that Disney had to offer. We came home May 5th ready for a home cooked meal and our favorite blankies to cuddle up with in front of the television. It never felt better to kick back and do absolutely nothing than that first night back from 2 weeks in Disney World.

When I sit back and really look at what this family is doing, I'm torn between thinking it's an awesome family bonding experience with the concern that these kids are going to really be missing friends. Aren't they? I'm thinking of my own children and trying to imagine how well they'd tolerate this situation. Our kids are only around other children a couple times a week which has two cool consequences... one being that they are extremely close to each other, the other being than when they're with their individual peer groups, they have the most amazing time. It's all good in their eyes. They're incredibly social and involved in whatever the group situation invites. I couldn't take that away from them... not for anything. The gift and privilege of regular friendships and the anticipation of knowing those days are coming seems so fundamental to their social development and emotional well being.

I'll be watching this family, praying for them too. I so hope this is exactly what they want it to be. Maybe those of us following the journey from home can plan our own (shorter) road trips based on recommendations they provide. They should be quite the experts by the time their journey ends on where to visit!

No comments: