Thursday, April 10, 2008

Without Even Being Asked!


Yesterday my son shocked us twice by taking it upon himself to do things he normally runs away from.

The first shocker came as I witnessed him crawling around on our living room floor picking up paper scraps from a craft he'd been working on. All I had to do was tell him we needed to get the house cleaned up so mom could start dinner. Usually such a statement doesn't motivate him to do anything productive, but yesterday my little guy stood back just long enough for me to push our craft table against the wall where it's stored, before dropping to his hands and knees to pick up the mini shreds of paper that had fallen from all his creative cutting. Wow. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I still can't believe it.

Second shocker happened last night while I was at a committee meeting. I'd left one worksheet for him to complete while I was gone, mentioned it to my husband and asked them both to please be sure it was done before he went to bed. I normally don't assign homework at night, but it was just one of those situations where we hadn't completed all our assignments before dinner... so I let him set it aside for a period of time.

Well, would you believe that he went to dining room table after I left and completed that assignment without my husband asking him too? In fact, when I returned home it was right at bedtime, he was still awake and was the first to greet me. The first thing he wanted mom to know was that the assignment was done! Then my husband made sure I knew that he hadn't had to remind him, but that our son had just taken it upon himself to get it done. Ok, this is huge!

Those little unexpected surprises are priceless blessings to a mom who has struggled with a child at every turn. We praised him up and down, letting him know how proud we were, so hopefully he'll keep seeking that kind of approval. It's so nice to be able to share some happy news with you all!

No comments: